Polokwane City vs Kaizer Chiefs

0 - 2
(HT 0 - 1)

G. Lebese 8'
G. Maluleka 72'

Polokwane City 0-2 Kaizer Chiefs: Maluleka opens his account as AmaKhosi ease past City

By Ernest Makhaya
16 Apr 2014 21:22:00
George Maluleka netted his first goal in AmaKhosi colours as they comfortably beat Polokwane City 2-0 at the Peter Mokaba Stadium on Wednesday nightKaizer Chiefs came into this league encounter against Polokwane City looking to pick up three vital points to keep pressure firmly on log leaders Mamelodi Sundowns.

AmaKhosi got off to a flying start, and got their opening goal inside the first 10 minutes through George Lebese, who had an easy tap-in from Kingston Nkhatha's cross.

The visitors nearly doubled their lead in the 15th minute following Vusi Mthimkulu's error at the back, but Bernard Parker's six-yard cross deflected off Thapelo Tshilo to safety.

City launched their first real attack in the 21st minute, and it was Moyana who rifled from distance after being given space from the midfield, but his shot was easily dealt with by Itumeleng Khune.

Goalkeeper Modiri Marumo played a long ball into the Chiefs' half on the half-hour mark, and the chance eventually fell to Thabo Rakhale behind the AmaKhosi defence, but the former Orlando Pirates man failed to hit the target with only Khune to beat.

Nkhatha wasted a great chance to make it 2-0 in the 34th minute but he took his time to kick the ball and allowed Tlou Molekwane to make a tackle.

Both teams had half chances before the interval, but none of those changes were converted as AmaKhosi took their 1-0 lead going into the second half.

Chiefs started where they left off in the first half, but George Maluleka was unlucky as his shot came off the upright from an awkward angle, and Siphiwe Tshabalala's rebound from the edge of the box flew over the bar.

The defending champions finally doubled their lead with over 15 minutes to play, and it was none other than George Maluleka whose shot deflected off Mthimkulu and into the back of the net.

AmaKhosi held on to their two-goal lead and kept the excitement of the title race alive as Polokwane City remain in danger of the relegation zone after the defeat.